Manta block print & Wee Wooden Village

Little Wooden Village

Ok so ever since I saw this pin I have been completely turgid over this village and I finally just bought it on Ebay.  Apparently the company no longer sells toys in the US.  I expected Señor Lights and Buttons Robot Man to disdain and was hoping the baby would evince some interest, so I was pretty happy when Jasper (oldest, big on things with wheels and noisy business) was into playing with it.  The baby was interested, but mainly in throwing the pieces on the floor or taking them off somewhere using his newfound walking abilities.

And I figured I would throw together a quick block print tutorial which I think I shall have finished tomorrow and which will add only a little bit of new information to what’s out there already, but – as far as I’m concerned, anyway – they seem to be somewhat critical pieces of information, especially when printing light ink on darker ground, and perhaps will help someone else who was having issues.

They are manta rays on blue linen (the blue didn’t photograph very well; I might try again tomorrow.  It’s a lot bluer than it looks right here.)  Jasper’s been into space with some sea thrown in lately – especially octopuses and manta rays – and I figured they’d make a cool print not to mention fast fast fast to cut a block.  I think it took me about 7 minutes to cut this block, including photographs and answering Jasper’s questions while doing it.

Miscellany: Block Printing Fabric + a Kindle Cover

Amidst working on this endless romper pattern I am fiddling with other things.  Block printing some linen to use for one of said rompers, for instance, and making a Kindle cover based on this nice tutorial at Charm Stitch.

I added a flap closure rather than just a button-and-loop, so fluff wouldn’t get into the Kindle cozy thinger.  And I got to use some of my Spoonflower Pomegranate fabric, though it’s the older version of it – I’ve updated that design to be brighter.

Block Printing Fabric
Clouds printed on grey linen, and houses of ennui

Eventually I hope to put up some information on block printing on fabric – I’ve had a frustrating time of things with it and I’ve felt a bit let down by many of the tutorials out there that don’t cover what kinds of ink to use or what kinds of problems one might run into (of which there are many, it turns out.)  I think I’ve finally solved some ofthose problems, so when I get two minutes to rub together I’ll try to post something about it.

Kindle Cover
Kindle Cover/Cozy based on the Charm Stitch tutorial

The Charm Stitch tutorial was great.  I adapted it for different measurements, and I cut one piece of lining and one piece of the main fabric about two inches longer and curved the corners.  From there it’s more or less the same – sewing the pockets on, sewing the two pouches each together, then sewing all along the opening – pivoting to sew up around the flap – with right sides together, leaving the opening to turn.  Turn, press, topstitch; buttonhole, button.  The usual.  It came out nicely, I think.